Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Max the bull







Well, for the past year and a half or so, I have been helping out a family in our church take care of their cattle. They have 86 right now, which makes it fun keeping them happy. It's funny, as soon as I get there and they see me, they'll start mooing continuously until they can bury their snouts in some tasty morsels. As you can imagine, being a city boy, this has all been very interesting and way out of the ordinary for me, but I've really enjoyed it and could see myself having my own. Anyway, I talked to Rocky, the guy I have been working for, about buying some beef from him when they slaughter. We had it worked out but then the other day, I was feeding and "Helen"gave birth to a red bull. Very interesting to see the front feet and tongue sticking out her rear end. Well, he decided that this bull would make the best meat. SO now we have Max the bull, soon to be steer. I had to ear tag him with a 1/4 inch earring to mark him as mine. Didn't seem to bother him much. Bothered momma to have me messing with him. Anyway, after he gets big and fat, he'll be stocking our freezer for a year or so.

No comments: