Thursday, May 10, 2007

Training For My First Duathlon

My sister June asked me if I wanted to do a duathlon with her in July. I have never done any kind of race, so it sounded fun, plus a good way to get in better shape. We will be running 3 miles, biking 18, then running 3 more miles. Well, I have been running a little bit lately (not near enough). Since I was in KC helping with Julies new baby, June and I decided to do some running and were both happy we have the same pace. Just makes the race more fun to stay together. Well what I didn't mention was the name of this race is the Prairie Punisher. I now know why...The last day I was there we decided to do the 18 mile bike ride. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! I never realized we had mountains in Kansas. Well we do, they are in Gardner. I remember trying my hardest to catch June at one point just to ask how far we had gone. I wasn't thrilled to hear "about 3 miles". I did lots of moaning and complaining and all June complained of was her stomach hurting from laughing at me. She has obviously been biking a few more times than me! The funny thing, is she has these shoes that clip on her pedals. I was a little worried it would slow us down because she would have to change in and out of them for the running(she mentioned it would give me a breather). Well I don't think that is going to be an issue anymore:) I believe If I don't do some serious biking soon, I will still be saying, I think I can up one of the many "mountains". I planned on taking Meryn on a bike ride today but decided my sore rear needs another recovery day. The positive side is I finally have the feeling back in my hands and feet.

1 comment:

June Duehring said...

Susan, you are so funny. I still laugh just thinking about it. :0)