Saturday, July 28, 2007

Prairie PUNISHER... I Did it!!









Today was the BIG day. I felt sick to my stomach this morning just thinking about the race. It was a hot and humid morning and that made me even more nervous. We started at 7 am and the part I thought (running the first 3 miles) would be the easiest for me, was even hard. It could have been because I was in the middle of a few hundred people, most who probably train faithfully. I tried to run their pace for about the first two minutes and thought I was gonna die. So I found my pace and finished the first run to hop on my bike and take off for those grueling 18 miles. I actually felt great at first because there was a nice breeze blowing on me. I soon forgot about the breeze and remembered the "mountains" I had to ride up. I finished biking and as I came into the transition area I had a big crowd (Greg and the kids, plus several other members of my family) cheering me on. The last run was the worst part of my morning. I expected it to be hard and it WAS! I tried to start jogging the last three miles, but my legs and mind were telling me they didn't want to. I eventually made it back to the last stretch and about 10 of the kids were there to run with me to the finish line. They were cheering me on telling me "mommy see your not the last one, there are still more runners coming!" The twins knew I was worried about that:) So I am exhausted and sore tonight, but it was a great experience and I am glad I did it. I'm maybe too tired because I am actually thinking about doing it again next year...Thanks June & Damon for talking me into it. I think!

4 comments:

grammaneir said...

Great job Susan! It was fun to be there and watch.

Elisa Seaba said...

You did awesome Susan!! And yes, you ARE doing it next year with me :)

Anonymous said...

Good job Susan! I probably wouldn't have made it through the first 3 miles. Sorry but I don't think I will do it with you next year. :) I can come and watch all the kids.

Jason & Heather said...

GREAT JOB Girl!!! We knew you could do it. (We still don't have internet, cable or a phone line... I'm at the library ;)).